The purpose of the program is to develop a diverse, committed group of leaders who are prepared to be visible and vocal leaders for our union over the next years.
The intended outcomes for participants in the program are:
- See self as part of next generation of leaders for the Union, committed to moving our Local’s strategic plan
- Increased effectiveness through communication
- Build strong relationships
- Be able to align others around common goals
- Be inclusive leaders in the union, committed to organizational equity and inclusion
- Be part of a highly-trusted cohort of peers that can provide ongoing support and feedback to each other
- Build concrete leadership skills
Who the Program is Intended For
The program seeks to develop a diverse cadre of emerging leaders who will help lead our Union .
- 2 3-day retreats
- Cohort-based (participants move through the program together in a group of 10 to 20)
- Work with a learning partner between retreats to develop relationships to build support, and accountability
- Ongoing support from staff and facilitators throughout the program
- Individual Learning Project: a project that furthers each participant’s own development and results in a tangible change in the organization.
Retreat #1: August 22-24 Retreat #2: October 9-11
Learning Project with presentation at the Local Union’s January 2020 Executive Board Meeting
- Board member, Chief Stewards, and Staff are invited to sponsor emerging member leaders taking into account the criteria stated in the program description. Each nominee must have a sponsor.
- Nominees are invited to apply to the program using the application form.
- Applications are due June 28, 2019
- Applications are reviewed by the Local 205 Executive Committee and the cohort is formed taking into account the desire to have a diverse learning environment.
- Those who are accepted into the program are notified via email July 17, 2019.
- Those who are not accepted into the program are notified via email and they are placed on a waiting list.
- Participants will use release time, or Union Time (replacement wages) to attend the retreats.